Red, Sweet & Wild

To promote adoption from foster care, Lansdowne's Epiphany House is hosting a showing of the Heart Gallery of Philadelphia on April 24th at the Plymonth Meeting Mall. The Heart Gallery offers portraits of waiting children looking for forever families.



Tuesday, March 9, 2010

What I Want to Be When I Grow Up

For an Epiphany House press release, I just finished an interview with the head of the Heart Gallery of Philadelphia, Terry Hirst. Hirst is a photographer that started her own business to have time to take care of her kids when they were young. And now that her kids were grown and business established, she wanted her business life to be more meaningful. After reading an article about the Heart Gallery in New Mexico, Hirst created her own branch in Philly to gave foster kids in need of forever families a voice.

I am so irritable today. In fact I've been pissy for a few days. Transitioning my career is so much more work than I ever imagined. Tonight, I was hastily packing my kids' lunches and snapping at everyone in sight. I have to remember that this is just the beginning. Hirst, with hard work and determination, opened doors at the Department of Human Services and is now helping kids find homes. Right now I am making peanut butter sandwiches and wiping bottoms and yelling at mu kids to wipe their own bottoms, but someday soon I will be a part of my own nonprofit organization and changing more than my corner of the world.

No comments: