Red, Sweet & Wild

To promote adoption from foster care, Lansdowne's Epiphany House is hosting a showing of the Heart Gallery of Philadelphia on April 24th at the Plymonth Meeting Mall. The Heart Gallery offers portraits of waiting children looking for forever families.



Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Trainer Babies and the Chosen Few

We are down to the last few steps of being licensed foster parents. We only need our two remaining references to be completed and to find a flipping FBI-approved site for our fingerprinting. I just read a report that said nearly a quarter of a million people contact the foster system each year to inquire about adoption but only about 8% make it through the homestudy process. I feel like a mighty warrior, one of the chosen few.



In addition to listening to the Rocky Theme in my head as I lumber up the foster care staircase, I have been babysitting my four-month-old nephew. He is adorable and ridiculously fat and looks a lot like I did when I was an infant chunker. It is giving me a chance to practice handling two kids under three at the same time. I have to say it sucks. Babies are heavy and floppy and Quincy insists he is the baby.



Today my back is aching from carrying Aiden in the carseat and my head is pounding from Q's many "I'm the baby" meltdowns. Still tonight I gave my nephew a bath in the kitchen sink with Kevin's help while Quincy watched ardently. So yeah juggling two kids is hard, but it is also really, really special.

I can't wait.

No comments: