Red, Sweet & Wild

To promote adoption from foster care, Lansdowne's Epiphany House is hosting a showing of the Heart Gallery of Philadelphia on April 24th at the Plymonth Meeting Mall. The Heart Gallery offers portraits of waiting children looking for forever families.



Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Perfect Moment

I helped my friend with her many babies and she rewarded me with a gift card to the local coffeehouse. I love coffee, but to save money I usually drink homemade brew in my living room while I fold clothes. Today instead of doing the ever-increasing mountain of laundry, I grabbed my gift card and headed out for joe.

Guilt-free, I bought a gignormous cappuccino and a chocolate croissant. Let me take a minute to describe these croissants. These are not those soft squishy half-moons of flavorless dough that a lot of places pass off as croissants. No, the Regency's chocolate croissants are pure joy distilled into a slab of bitter dark chocolate in a flaky, buttery shell of delight.

I sat down with my dessert, my bowl of coffee, my book and my magazine. I read the Affair of the Bungalow and leisurely picked out bathroom light fixtures. I drank my coffee and listened to Modern English. I noticed a woman was typing feverishly on her laptop, a man was making an appointment loudly on his cell phone, and a beautiful couple was very much into each other. Loud man aside, I realized this was a perfect, peaceful moment. No one was asking me for anything, I wasn't finding gummy fruit in my shoe or looking for the next writing gig. I was just being me, unfettered. I licked the shards of pastry off my fingers and savored the peace.

No comments: