Red, Sweet & Wild

To promote adoption from foster care, Lansdowne's Epiphany House is hosting a showing of the Heart Gallery of Philadelphia on April 24th at the Plymonth Meeting Mall. The Heart Gallery offers portraits of waiting children looking for forever families.



Saturday, December 1, 2007

Of Course

Of course, the second I start writing this my sleeping son begins to stir. We actually had a semi-adult evening tonight with dinner and wine and naughty toddlers running in circles around our dining room table.
My friend came over tonight for dinner with her husband, two kids, and her parents. It was a successful evening with children under four years of age, meaning I got to finish my most of my meal, a squeezed in some adult conversation while me distracted the kids with a video, and there was only one minor injury (Quincy split his lip tripping over the living room rug).
My friend's kids are four and nearly two years old. Whenever I spend time with people with two kids I think I must be crazy to want another one. From the outside it just looks exhausting. From watching other parents I know that two kids are not just double the work, it is quadruple the work.
And let's face it, I always dread it when people say to me, "Oh, you must love children to want to adopt again." I cringe. I like my kid. I like some kids. But I wouldn't say I love kids. I wouldn't say I love people and kids are just tiny people with sticky fingers.
But I do notice how I feel when I pick up a child that I do like. The wonderful, warm feeling of holding a child. And having that feeling lets my brain know that my heart is definitely ready to begin again.

No comments: